I'm running down the path all excited to see what is coming up, I see in the distance the peak of the mountain begin to grow. Every step I take the mountain gets larger, larger, and even larger. I say to myself, "I'm so excited to see what this mountain is! It's soo cool!!"
As I continue running the path, I can now see the details of the mountain. The rock formations, the trees, even a waterfall coming from the top of the mountain. It was absolutely beautiful!! I look even harder and there I see something I did not expect... another path? No wait... two other paths. All leading in different directions on that mountain.
My running has now died down to a slow jog, I look at the three paths on the mountain and begin to wonder, "Which path am I to take?" This question keeps on coming into my mind as I get closer and closer to the mountain.
In no time at all, I can already see the base of the mountain. The path that I am now walking on, I can see the three branches at the base of the mountain. I continue walking still thinking, "Which path am I going to take?" It wasn't until long that I was stopped at the base of the mountain looking at the three paths.
I look at each path and where each of them leads in the mountain. I can't even distinguish where each of them goes. The once beautiful mountain has now become a very large obstacle. I start to think. This is the first time where I actually had a chance to stop and think. Painful memories and emotions start to come into my mind and heart. Most of them were things of the past that I thought I was over. I begin thinking back to when I thought everything was great and I was running down the path. Why was I running in the first place?
My mind is now swarmed with these painful thoughts and emotions. I don't know how to feel or act. I just want it all to go away. I look at the three different paths and it only makes things worse. I'm so confused, so lost. I feel so helpless and alone. Why am I alone? Isn't God with me... wait a minute... where's God? Wasn't he walking with me down this path? Where is He now?
Then hit me... running... I soon realized, that I went ahead of God. I was so excited to see what happens next that I forgot... forgot that God was walking with me. I rushed ahead of Him and now, I am facing this mountain on my own. Facing the three paths in front of me. Facing all these thoughts and emotions. All alone...
I stand there, alone, wondering what I am to do. Still thinking constantly. Then a hand was placed on my shoulder. I looked to see who it was, it was God!! He caught up with me! He tells me, "Be patient my child. Trust in me with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all you ways acknowledge me, and I will make your paths straight (Proverbs 3:5-6)." After he said that, I looked back and the mountain I was facing had vanished. The three paths that stood before were straight and I could see where they lead to. The thoughts that were troubling me were now put to rest.
I realize now, that I am on God's Timing, not mine.
Thriving in the season of parenthood
-
I’ve been stewing on this topic for some time. And for the longest time I
didn’t really have words for this season I’m in. It’s a weird season where
time i...
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment