Friday, January 2, 2009

The Body of Christ (Part 2)

The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!" And the head cannot say to the feet, "I don't need you!" On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other.

1 Corinthians 12:21-25

I never really took the chance to sit down to think about how important the smaller parts of the body can be. Lets say the big toe. How small and pointless it appears to be, but as a part of the body, it provides us with balance. If we did not have our big toe, we could never run/jog to our full potential. The whole body suffers in the absence of a big toe.

These last couple of days, I had an infection in my right thumb and boy did it ever hurt a lot to put any sort of pressure on it. I never realized how important the thumb was and how restricted I was in doing basic things like writing, driving, even zipping up zippers. Our thumbs are the strongest clamps on our body. Accompanied by four other fingers it assists you in a variety of things such as writing, turning on the tap, picking up items, flipping a page, anything that requires the joining of two fingers.

As part of the Body of Christ, there may be a small part of ministry that you do. For example, lets say your just doing something as simple as setting up chairs for the service. It's small and it seem so insignificant but, if you think about it, if you didn't do it, who would? It would be someone else in possibly ministry. By not setting up chairs, this other person in ministry now has to set up the chairs and that would take time away from their own ministry. They are now not as effective in their ministry. The whole body suffers for it.

I just want to say to not neglect these small but significant parts of the body. Even though they may not seem like they are doing anything. These "little" parts of the body are so important for providing balance and stability.

No comments: