
Inspiration: Matthew 5:14-16
Recently, I have come to realize that everyone has some sort of built-in radar. Have you ever had a situation where your in a crowd of people and you happen to just start talking to someone and find out that the both of you grew up in the same town or city? Have you just stood there with hundreds of people talking and when someone says something that completely catches your attention and everything else becomes silent and you immediately find that person?
I'm going to use my "radar" as an example. It has been about a year since I last blogged but as some of you may know, I have been constantly moving for the last 6 years. I am now living in Burnaby, BC working at SFU with IVCF. I have just come to the realization of my Saskatchewan Radar. Actually, those in Saskatchewan, they can probably say that we all have that Radar. We always seem to find each other in the most unlikely places. Two people that I do Kung Fu with are from Saskatchewan and these were some of the first people I talked to during Kung Fu. It wasn't until almost a month into Kung Fu where I found out that these 2 people were from Regina! There is something about people from Saskatchewan (most likely the green) and we just naturally go to each other. Also, for those who aren't from Saskatchewan, you can almost tell if a person is from Saskatchewan. In a way, you have picked us up on your own radar. It's probably because we're CRAZY!!! =D
Keeping this in mind, I sometimes wonder about the Christian Radar. Are Christians able to pick each other up on their radar? Are Christians showing up in other people's radars? Myself being a Christian all my life, am I shining a light that would draw people like I do with my fellow Saskatchewanians?
If you think stealth wise, you want to "fly under the radar" so that you won't be detected. That way you can accomplish your mission without any conflict. However, if you ask Jesus, He says the complete opposite. He's saying that we all have a light and that we need to let it shine. We NEED to be detected. If you ask me, on average, we are doing an amazing job "flying under the radar." The Christian light we project is pretty small. In some cases, it's so small that not even the Christian radar can pick it up! Now, I'm not saying all Christians are like this. There are LOTS of examples of Christians being a light and sending such a large signal that any radar can pick it up. I have just found in general that most of us Christians aren't shining the light that God gives us so freely. We hide it under the lamp and hide it from any other radar out of fear that we may be labeled as a "Christian."
Now even as I write this, I realize that Christians are being picked up on the other radars. However, usually we only hear about the bad things that happen. Peoples radars are so in tuned to the negative things that Christians do and that's what they always pick up on, even other Christians. So I guess the question now is, "How do we as Christians shine the light of God that is SO GOOD that other peoples radars can pick it up?"
Well, I don't think there is a single solution that will solve this problem. Probably more guidelines and it's guidelines that we've all probably heard before too.
1. Know what Good actually is - We need to be immersed in the Word of God to actually know what this good light actually is.
2. Prayer - No matter how hard we try, we can't display this light without the Holy Spirit. Our lives to be lead by Jesus through scripture and prayer.
3. Community - Yes it can only take one person to make a difference, but being together as a community what Jesus wants us to be in. Jesus always traveled with a community and that community shone an amazing light. Jesus sent his disciples out 2 by 2 and that was shining a light everywhere.
4. Personal Relationship with Jesus Christ - This seems like a Sunday School answer but how many of us actually know what this means? If we truly experienced the GOODNESS of God's light, will we REALLY keep it to ourselves? This is the light that brings physical, emotional, and spiritual healing. This is the light that penetrates even the darkest of nights and depths of our hearts. This is the light that restores our souls and gives us peace.
5. Not just staying within our own Christian Bubble - We as Christians NEED to get out of our safe Christian bubbles and start being involved with other bubbles. The lighted places don't need more light, it is the dark places that need the light. This being said, the Christian community is a place that we as Christians go to get fed ourselves. So don't forget the community.
These are all things that have been challenging me and I just wanted to share it with you. If you have any thoughts or comments on this, I would love to hear them =).
God Bless!
No comments:
Post a Comment